Just a question for the general public that I would appreciate feedback for! I originally wrote this to my beloved Biblical Theology and Hermenutics professor, Dr. DeCaro.
"I was speaking to a good friend last night on things that I grapple with internally, things that I encounter when in Christian forums amongst those in the body of Christ - i.e. cessationism (is that a word?), women preaching (in a co-ed environment), really the thing I grapple with is women as head pastors. I have often said, even after taking Women in Ministry courses, Leadership & Development courses, that as a single person, I would be open to going and sitting in where a woman was the head pastor. But, when the gears are switched, like one day I have a family and children, it would take a lot of discussing and deliberating when it came to bringing my family and children into a church setting like that, especially when it comes to membership in a church like that as well. The children would have to be taught, as two individuals, I and my husband would have to be able and willing to stand behind our decision, based on our convictions, etc. Honestly, at this point, even though I have read certain books (from both perspectives), taken classes, I have not been able to come to a conclusion that I am confident about, even with biblical support from both ends of the spectrum. I will say this though, I would have no problem becoming a part of a church where there are women on the pastoral staff, associate pastors and stuff, but as for the senior pastor, I would prefer for a man to fill that role, based on my reading and studying of biblical texts and supporting evidences (again, from both perspectives). The key thing for me is this, if the man is supposed to be the spiritual leader of the home, doesn't the church also qualify or act as "a home" too? In turn, isn't that biblical?"
Only my opinion: Yes and yes. The Catholic Church teaches that the office of Bishop and priest (pastors) are inherently male because Christ was male (and I personally disagree with the logic). But this is not held to be an infallible belief. It is not held to be a Biblically supported revealed truth. It is a belief that the church claims the right to change if they want to. (and note that the Holy Spirit is thought of as female) There is ample Biblical evidence that there were many female Deacons among the communities that Paul wrote to. The role of a Deacon is to serve the poor and needy but also to preach (Stephen in the Book of Acts is the role model). I already see you in the role of a Deaconess (have seen you that way for a long time), just like the ones in the communities that Paul wrote to. You might choose to not become a pastor, but you can still server greatly, and being in the role of a Deaconess should not preclude you from preaching publicly or in a church service.
ReplyDeleteBut please try and interpret the Bible in the proper social/historical context. Yes, the Bible is the infallible word of God, but it was written by men in a certain social-historical-cultural context that is different than what we live in today. It's a hard task of interpretation to separate the revealed truth from the temporal context.
I personally favor women clergy, but I understand that if the Catholic church were to permit women clergy there would be schism. The Catholic world is not ready for women pastors, even if God permits it. I also favor married clergy.
Incidentally, I know Catholic women who have stated lividly that they would NEVER confess their sins to a woman!
Since you are a female, I suggest that you imitate and adapt a female leadership style rather than follow male leadership models.
ReplyDelete