Monday, October 26, 2009

Refrigerator Heaven!

Just a good 10 minutes ago, my refrigerator was miraculously revived from its "full automatic defrost mode" ... I will try to never take for granted a working refrigerator with a proper cooling system ever again! I lie, because chances are that in my humanity, I will ... BUT, what a crazy ride the weekend has been with a refrigerator that seemed to still be alive, but whose heart was not beating. It all start around 6 pm on Saturday night. Earlier on that day, I had made this really good almond tofu dessert thing, it's a Chinese desert in all its creamy, yummy, almond-y goodness!! I had heated up the mix, set it to cool, and then proceeded to place batches of the mixture in my fridge. WAIT ... why is stuff in the firdge not cold and has condensation build up on the outside of the jars and the like? Meanwhile, it was thundering and lighting up a storm outside and you hear the rain in intervals of pour, drip drip drip, pour, drip drip drip. You get the point here. I unplug the fridge and a second later plug it back in the wall noticing that the light would still go on when I opened the door. So, the thing was not broken. With that, I decided to leave it alone for a bit. My efforts in doing so were not successful. When something bugs me, it bugs me and I want to find out what is wrong with it and how to fix it within that same day. So every couple of hours, I would just crack the fridge door open, hoping for some sounds of life, or some sort of cooling going on ... to no avail. I went to sleep worrying that the home cooked food from my mom would spoil without refrigeration, but left it all in the fridge anyway. The next morning, I popped out of bed to check for any signs of life, nope. I then decided to google my problem. I google everything these days. So, I type in all kinds of stuff, especially words that I see on my fridge like 'No frost, no fineback, full automatic", and things started coming up like defrost mode, how fridges have these timers in their system that automatically go into defrost mode and what not, and I found people out there who had gone through what I was going through. Let me tell you, knowing that was a relief. It didn't help to solve my problem at hand, but I was a bit relieved.

Needless to say whatever I did yesterday, I was pretty distracted by this non-cooling/freezing refrigerator that I had at home. The thought of spoiling and wasting food (that my mom had cooked for me) and then other things that I had bought to eat with money that I worked hard for, pretty much frustrated me to no end. I tried my hardest to remember and keep in mind what Jesus said about not worrying about what I was going to eat or wear, that God would take care of it all ... but my humanity lurked! I just couldn't stand the thought of stuff going to waste, in that way! I had finally gotten up the nerve to tell my mom last night, because I didn't want to say anything unless absolutely necessary so she wouldn't have to worry or go scrambling trying to get someone to fix it, or worse, have to spend money buying me a new fridge. She ended up telling me to eat as much of the food as I could, which I didn't because though I'm a big foodie, it depends on my mood and because I was stressed out with the whole situation, I really didn't want to eat. I tried going on google again, and then I came across something that told me the defrost mode cycle could take anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours, depending on how many times I opened and closed the refrigerator door, how the compressor was etc. After reading that, I decided that I would not open or close or go anywhere near the fridge for the rest of the night. This was around 9 pm last night. It took a lot of self control, but I was able to do it. Then, while I was doing some internship research, in the spur of the moment, I decide to go in the kitchen, unplug the fridge and leave it alone for about 15 minutes or so (I read that somewhere). After about 20 minutes of leaving the thing alone, I go and plug it back into the wall. I walk away, walk back in, and BAM! I started to hear a little kicking up of noise at first I thought was coming from the wall, then I leaned into the fridge and ... the first signs of a successful resuscitation had taken place! I approached the fridge door and slowly opened it to find cold air being breathed out into the surrounding area as well as my freezer. My refrigerator has come alive after about 48 hours!

There goes my the recounting of my refrigerator's should I say, "90 minutes [or intervals of 90 minutes] in Heaven"?

1 comment: