Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thoughts on Evangelism in the U.S.

I read just read through some entries of a blog that my brother had posted on his Facebook status. Now, I will be the first one to admit that I get a little annoyed at how I see evangelism portrayed in certain Christian circles. There is the one side where evangelism is barely discussed at all and then there is the other side where evangelism is discussed as an activity, something to do, an event, or even like a hobby (i.e. I love to sing, I love to go evangelize).

I don't know, I mean why does it seem like certain groups or people make evangelism into this next best thing to do, like instead of going shopping, go evangelize. Instead of doing x, y, or z, go evangelize. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as Christ-followers, shouldn't His way of life gradually become our way of life? The key words here are WAY OF LIFE. Evangelism, which is just Christian vernacular for sharing the message of Christ with people, is for me, a natural way of being from the outflow of the Holy Spirit's presence and activity in my life, as a believer and follower of Christ. I don't "look to" get into "spiritual conversations" with people, I jsut get into conversations with them, and the reality is that spiritual and religious matters are at every turn without me trying to turn the conversation that way. And the thing is, these discussion topics come about naturally because all of us have to face them as individuals living in a war-torn, poverty stricken, relationally dysfunctional society. Moments come to share the message of ((truth and hope, people need it; We all need it - saved or unsaved, believer or not yet a believer. We all have endured suffering (not to Christ's extent) but have endured a plight(s) of human suffering at some level. I will not get into the theological implications of that here (the human condition of sin, man's sin nature etc.) What I will say is this, God not only suffered FOR people, He suffered WITH people. God is a just God, yes. He WILL punish sin, yes. Man is sinful, every single one of us, yes. WE are sinful. When you are speaking to someone, it's WE are sinful. Moving on, before I get on my soapbox about this ...

After reading the blog, I wondered about evangelism or as some would call it, "direct evangelism". In addition to sharing the Gospel with people, what about the issues that come up in those conversations (like a woman who's son was just killed, a man going through a divorce, a teen struggling with addiction)? I believe that at some level, some practical need must be briefly addressed or met. For example, the person struggling or stuck in an addiction(s) is presented freedom through the Gospel, hand in hand with the necessary resources (counseling, addiction recovery program, whatever the case may be) that would facilitate and perpetuate freedom from whatever physical, emotional, or mental obstacles that may be hindrances or distractions to the person who may or may not choose to come into relationship with Christ and embark on a life journey with Him. i have observed many a times people give out their church's contact info, and talk abut connecting with a Bible-based church (which is all well and good), and (this may offend some) the next thing you know, the individual shows up to church weekly still addicted to x, y, or z, and even worse, the person happens to land in a church who may not be aware of or be advocates of certain services? We need to be prepared equipped. That is one of the reasons why I put links to certain articles or resources (most of which are faith-based, some not necessarily Christian) all depending on the individual(s) that God brings across your path.

Familiarize yourself with the things out there (Christian and secular) so as if not to offer people resources when they come to you, to just be aware, be well-rounded ... we would do that for someone who has cancer or someone who know who is going through a divorce, so why not do the same when we are more than likely to come across individuals who face those and many other things in the course of their daily lives? The Gospel, the message of truth, hope and life is only found and obtained through Jesus, yet for physical and emotional healing, God's provides healing spaces, healing agents. if not for healing, why do we share the Gospel? Not just so that people would believe, but that they would believe and be made WHOLE, being prepared for the return of the Lord.

"Ignorance can be very dangerous. Ignorance is not always bliss. Be careful!" - Dr. Chin.

1 comment:

  1. "Evangelism, which is just Christian vernacular for sharing the message of Christ with people, is for me, a natural way of being from the outflow of the Holy Spirit's presence and activity in my life, as a believer and follower of Christ."

    ReplyDelete