Having just woke up a short little while ago, I had set out to gather everything I needed to start working on my paper that involves coming up with my “Personal Theory of Counseling”. Before anything, I made some coffee and while drinking turned on some Adie camp and just let the words she was singing to God really just soak in my own heart and reach up to Heaven. Then, I decided to go on Youtube and look up that ‘Jeremy Camp Testimony’ video that I had seen on the sidebar yesterday because it was on my mind right when I woke up. When I finished watching that, I saw a video for “This is My Desire” (Acoustic) and because of my love for anything acoustic, I clicked on it. Meanwhile, my heart was all ready to go, my mind was filled with thoughts going, ‘Vroooom, vrrroooommm!’ While watching the video, I started to sing along, looked up the lyrics, was still singing, but as the words came out of my mouth, the tears started to just FALL, I mean SPILL and I still found it in me to just sing the words out, realizing the seriousness of that commitment, the intensity of what each and every line meant, what my SOUL’s desire really is … And there’s a particular part in the song where it talks about being able to look back, thanking God for all He’s brought you through … As I was really taking the time to think back, for the first time, for the FIRST time, I could really see and experience that line when it comes to His life story for me, all the wonders He’s done in me, even long before I knew Him … He knew me, even as I was in my mother’s womb. And as the “This is My Desire” video just kept being repeated, I just kept singing, it’s like I just kept telling those things to the Lord … And at the same time, then the other part inside of me was telling Him, ‘I get it now, I get it, but to be honest I’m still afraid of what I’ll have to give up, what I’ll have to admit to … I’m still afraid.’ Meanwhile, as all of this is going on, I just cannot, CANNOT write … All of those great ideas I thought I had somehow seemed to drift away and vanish into thin air!
I had read the assignment directions over quite a couple of times, so I knew what was expected of me, but for the life of me, even when I would put my hand on the keyboard (with the song still playing in the background), they just ended up folded, on my lap, as I sang on … Then, I looked down at my assignment sheet, reading the thing over once again, and when I read the words, “your personal theory of counseling,” I thought, “Well, the starting point of my theory would be that in order for a counselor to be most effective, they would have to be counseled themselves.' I’m not even talking about seeing a therapist outside of their job (which is most certainly needed and recommended) but I’m talking about being Holy Spirit-ually counseled, having to journey through the “space” of their souls, to go through that process of having some “soul work” done on them by the Holy Spirit the Comforter, recognizing their own need for Jesus the Wonderful Counselor to be the Savior of their soul and the Leader of their inner AND outer life.
A good counselor is knowledgeable, skilled, and competent. A great counselor is also knowledgeable, skilled, and competent. An effective counselor is knowledgeable, skilled, competent, and perhaps the most consistent when it comes to the “results” of their client’s interventions and treatments. And yet a MOST effective counselor is one who is knowledgeable, skilled, competent, and consistent because they themselves have been in the “hot seat” with Jesus the Wonderful Counselor, have gotten “homework” from Him to read, review, and apply His Word, and attempt to do this as often as possible, and know that it is more important to listen and obey when the Holy Spirit lets them know (at any given time), that they need to be “in the other chair”, so that their own counseling session with Jesus could take place.
I also think that it is extremely important for the counselor to always be mindful that Jesus the Wonderful Counselor is really the One who is in charge of it all, that the counsel given would first and foremost be from Him and primarily aligned with the principles found in His Word, while other counseling resources (articles, books, praxis methodologies, intervention procedures, treatment ideologies) would be secondary in the counseling process.
|11:15 am|
Off to type up the notes and thoughts I scribbled on the front and back of my assignment directions packet. Here's the "This is My Desire" (Jeremy Camp)
Here are the lyrics to the part that I had mentioned earlier:
Where You've taken me
Beyond all I have hoped
And there's more left unseen
There's not much I can do to repay all You've done
So I give my hands to use
No comments:
Post a Comment