My boss had asked me to write something up celebrating a decade of
the Writing Center having been established at Nyack College's Manhattan
Campus since last semester or the semester before. I had agreed to it
but had been resisting it for quite some time now. Finally sat down in
front of the computer earlier today at work and typed something up.
Lessons in Ministry and Service
Nyack College Manhattan Campus Writing Center
Alicia Wu
May 30, 2012
As
my time at the larger Nyack College/Alliance Theological
Seminary/Alliance Graduate School of Counseling is coming to a close, it
seems that now it is fitting for me to reflect on the journey God has
taken me through since becoming employed with the Nyack College Writing
Center in the Fall of 2006. It is now May of 2012 and I sit here
meditating on what a truly wonderful and amazing work God has done in
and through me, using such a place like the Writing Center. My
supervisor and boss is now one of my greatest supporters, prayer
warriors, sister, and friend to whom I have turned to in times of
celebration and need for comfort and strength. Through Professor
Millicent Waterman’s life, God has shown me how far and what depth the
human heart and soul can reach when one is wholly surrendered and
constantly in a posture of waiting on God, with ears pressed in to
listen to the Spirit and what it is God wants for one to do and how he
or she should be. Many times, without request, without my even saying a
word, Millie (as she would often desire of her staff to address her in
this way) would call and pray for me on the phone, leave me voice mails
with a heartfelt prayer. I would save her messages and listen to them
whenever I thought it was needed and often, they would bring both tears
and laughter to me.
It is in the same spirit of
intercession, instruction, and encouragement that I approached my work
as an employee of the Writing Center. While employed at the Writing
Center, I finished up my undergraduate work in Psychology and Pastoral
Ministry, began seminary on track to pursue a Master of Divinity degree
in Urban Ministry, and while in the midst of that, God placed the
urgency in my spirit to transfer over to the Mental Health Counseling
program which put me on track to work on a Master of Arts degree. God
has brought me through a great many transitions and a variation of
seasons while I have been in training here at the Center. One may ask
what might I have been and still be in training for. To put it plainly,
while going through the different transitions, I became strongly
persuaded (and that is difficult because I am not one to be easily
persuaded), that God was and still is training me up to be a minister,
and in the last couple years, He has enlarged my vision in such a way
that I now see He has been using my time at the Writing Center to train
me up as a pastor. When I use the term pastor here, I refer specifically
to the act and work of shepherding. In my time here, I have learned
much about what it looks like to serve people, to love people, to be
humbled by people, and also to be frustrated by people. And by all
means, in ministry, all of these aspects are bound to be experienced. I
have also learned that both service and love are sacrificial. Better
yet, service done without love although it can be done would seem to be
more of a performance. Conversely, service done in love seems to be the
true heart of ministry.
Most of all, the greatest lesson I
have learned in service and ministry is that the goal is to be
Christ-minded and therefore, become more Christ-like. As such, in
service and ministry, the true essence of it is to speak life, to be a
change agent, and to be a conduit of healing, in the midst of whatever I
might be doing with a student, whether it be assisting a student in a
brainstorming session, or walking a student through their own thoughts,
sitting with a student while they voice their anxieties about writing or
anything else. I have always aspired to be mindful of engaging in my
work with a prayerful heart. Lastly, I have learned that
shepherding/pastoring (caring for peoples’ souls) takes place in a
variety of contexts and settings. As a long-time employee of Nyack
College Manhattan Campus, God placed me at the Writing Center. As a
final semester graduate student of Alliance Graduate School of
Counseling Manhattan Campus, God has placed me in an outpatient mental
health clinic where as a Mental Health Counseling Intern; I am l
learning to provide verbal therapy to people who are living with Severe
and Persistent Mental Illness. At different points in time and in
various places, God has seen me fit to care for peoples’ souls, to be a
shepherd, a pastor – whether it is while I am at the Writing Center or
in the counseling office.
I am also sharing my personal
objective and mission because I believe having a personal mission
statement is important. My mission is to: engage, explore, and pursue
freedom and transformation for or with, families and communities. My
personal objective is to: partner with individuals, families, and
communities in the process of transformation so they are empowered to
lead more healthy and effective lives..
Finally, I would
like to share two Scripture verses that have shaped and are still
shaping my vision or rather God’s vision for my life. My supervisor’s
favorite verse is: “Then the LORD said to me, "Write my answer plainly
on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others.” -
Habakkuk 2:2 (New International Version)
And my most
favorite verse is: "Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it
through anything in the One who makes me who I am." - Philippians 4:13
(The Message Bible)
No comments:
Post a Comment