Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Little Peek-See into Alicia's Heart ...

Just a little! :) Last week, in my Internship class, we had a discussion on Boundaries (stemming from the book, Boundaries). My professor came up with a Hand Out Packet about Self Care so counselors could avoid burn out (that was the title of the packet). I thought the questions she posed were very meaningful ones. Some that I have asked myself over the years, others I had never really paused to consider because life in and of itself can be a distraction for me! Haha! So, my sharing of the following is so you could catch a little glimpse of what's in my heart and why it is I continue to live each and every day.

"Where do we Start?" - Who Am I? (Make a list of your "identity"). Who are you NOT? (Make a list of the "myths" about yourself that others might have labeled you with in the past).
- I am: Woman, Student, Counselor In-Training, Follower of Christ, Daughter, Sister, Friend, Chinese-American
- I am NOT (at least I don't think I am or really, I don't perceive myself to be): Conservative, Liberal, Feminist, Intellectual

What makes me happy? Sad?
- Happy: Dark Chocolate, A sense of personal productiveness and/or contribution
- Sad: People being mean to each other, my own pride and other peoples' pride

What "ticks me off?"
- When I or someone else looks down on another person (intentionally or not),certain peoples' sarcasm

What gives me joy?
- WORSHIP =) Singing and Piano

What breaks my heart?
- Peoples' brokenness, My own brokenness

What is my temperament like?
- Introvert for the most part, Extrovert when I need to be, *Stubborn*

What is my mission/vision in life?
- To help myself and others lead productive, healthy, and effective lives.

What do I expect of myself?
- To contribute to my community & society

What do I expect out of life?
- ? ( This is what I have written down, a big black question mark). In this moment, I would answer like so: TBD (To Be Determined).

Make a list of 10 things that you can do BY yourself, FOR yourself. List them and ask [yourself] how many you have done in the past two weeks, every two weeks (the goal is to be able to eventually do all 10 of them over every two weeks).

1. Looking at little kids play or being around kids
2. Singing (Worship)
3. Piano (Play Piano), when I visit my parents (my mom has a piano in the house). *I actually played at church this past Sunday* Yay! =)
4. Eat Ice Cream
5. Get myself Dunkin Donuts combo breakfast meal
6. Read a good book, unrelated to my studies
7. Cook
8. Lighting Scented Candles
9. Getting a new handbag
10. Getting a new pair of shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment