Today, in Theories & Foundations of Counseling, we discussed the Feminist counseling theory. Although I am not a feminist (in the way the term has been used today), I greatly enjoy learning about Feminist theory in counseling as well as theology. There are great things about it and then not so good things. Because God has given humanity revelation, both general and specific, I have chosen to do my best to listen to God's voice and let Him be the guiding principle in all things: whether I am learning through conversations, class discussions, and other contexts where dialogue takes place, I ask God to help me retain the good, the useful, the beneficial and then to disregard the bad (i.e. narrow-mindedness in peoples' perspectives and statements). I still acknowledge and respect that people have a right to their opinion, their thoughts, their emotions, and feelings and they also have the right to express all those things. I'm not sure how many people actually do acknowledge and respect that.
Anyway, I have found that people are more curious as to what someone actually believes, more than actually being curious about the person, how they came to believe what they do, the story behind it all ... I think that's a huge issue because then there's that tendency to start seeing the person as what they believe and not seeing the actual person behind the belief. Take myself ... I believe that God is the Giver of all good things ... ALL good things. For me, in that list of good things includes Psychology. I absolutely love it. Although historically and even now, men and women in Psychology have devalued and disregarded God, myself as a Christian, see Him as being the Root of it all, above and beyond Sigmund Freud, the "father" of it all. God made people, He created them in His image. The brain and how it functions, its dysfunctions, Albert Ellis and REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy), Aaron Beck and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, they provide some insight into this stuff. As a Christian, thanks to the Holy Spirit, I can see the underlying biblical principles in these and other counseling and psychological theories. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten offended at certain points because in psychological literature, God is hardly ever mentioned or given credit in the counseling process. That's exactly why I'm a huge advocate of more Christians becoming involved in the counseling/psychological field, so that we can collectively continue making strides, being beacons of light in our profession, which I also see as being a part of my mission field.
As for overall beliefs, I love dialogue, conversation, listening, understanding, learning ... I love to be able to see things from another person's perspective. I am more than open to sharing my beliefs or engaging in an exchange with someone else regarding beliefs on various topics/issues, as a bridge for connection, relating to or being there with another human being (for however long or short of a time), but it has to happen from a place of mutual respect and value of however many people involved. I LOVE people and spending time with them ... Either one-on-one or in small groups, I love hearing their stories, their ideas, their struggles, their aspirations, their hopes. etc. And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, being a part of the encouragement and spurring them on, inciting hope, being Christ-like in moving them forward in life. I absolutely enjoy that. I also am passionate about being PRESENT, being WITH people, no matter what state they are in ... Sometimes, someone just needs to cry with another, to sit with another, to talk with another, to be still and silent with another, and I am passionate about taking God up on those moments when He puts them in my path, so that perhaps people could see Him show up in the midst of our time together ... Not even show up through me, but that He would just show up, because He senses that I am so eager for His presence to just rain down on people, in my encounters with them (whether they happen to be a Christian or not). And believe you me, I have witnessed, been a part of, and personally experienced a good number of what I call, God-moments in the company of both Christians and non-Christians alike.
All this to say, I guess I felt the need to vent tonight because of various things that have been on my heart, mind and in my soul lately ... Having felt quite suffocated and boxed in for some time, I'd just like to also express this: Don't put me in a box. You'll die trying. Believe me, I've tried doing that to myself and have practically died trying ... Which is a good thing because in order for Christ to have all of me, I have to die to myself. So, Amen to that. Also, when it comes to my Christian walk, I would say that my approach is an eclectic one - meaning, I'm not strictly a Calvinist, Arminian, Charasmatic, Pentacostal, Baptist, Wesleyan, etc., etc., etc. I do believe in the elect, but I don't exactly know who the elect are during my lifetime here on earth, I believe that human beings do have a choice (to an extent), but that God's choosing precedes a person's choice (so a person does not have free will to the point that God has) ... I once had a professor who says that people, have creature will but that God has the ultimate FREE will as the Creator. I love how he put that ... Shout out to Dr. DeCaro at Alliance Theological Seminary NYC Campus! I do believe that the spiritual gifts (all of them) are still applicable to and active today, one of my desires is to see what happened in Acts 2:17 happen again, in today's context, or for it to happen more because that's one of the ways I desire to see God move more, I do also believe in eternal security, and that "the world is my parish" (in the words of John Wesley).
There are also things that I do not hold to, do not agree with when it comes to some of the denominations, doctrines or theologies listed above. I take all the good and then "chuck" the bad. The same goes for feminist theology and liberation theology. Although I am not a liberation theologian, I believe there is good that has come from that and it is the good that I take with me. Now, hopefully, people know that not every religion or worldview applies here. I wouldn't adopt certain Islamic or Mormon perspectives (because I do not believe that the core premise of those perspectives/religion align with Scripture, but there are things Christians can learn - Mormons do a heck of a job evangelizing (although it is based on skewed biblical teaching and some of it which is not biblical teaching). So, Christians could or should look at that, be able to bring it back to our own faith community, and be Holy Spirit empowered to take on evangelism (in whatever way, form or shape) more passionately.
Lastly, open-mindedness or being open-minded is not taking everything in that comes my way, but carefully and critically evaluating it ... EVALUATING it. With everything, to have a critical eye, because one just never knows what is really being promoted when it comes to media, music, books, even Christian authors, pastors (yes, I said or wrote it) ... even them. There is a difference between evaluating and judging. Yes, the Bible does say that we are to judge rightly but more often than not, in my observations, many Christians jump right to the judging aspect of things before the evaluating of something, critical evaluation is key ... For me both as a Christian and a counselor in-training (who hopes to be a licensed professional one day sooner than later), I hope I don't loose sight of God's heart for people in all of this, that I don't loose sight of God's heart for people to come to Him, for repentance, for right relationship(s) with Him and others, for healing (physical and inner), for reconciliation, redemption, restoration ... And I also hope that I will continually and constantly be mindful of the fact that one day, God, in Christ Himself WILL come and IS coming to make all things right. That me, for this time on earth, I am just His agent ... His agent of healing, forgiveness, peace, joy, love (all the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5) and my heart's deepest desire is that people would encounter Him, come to know Him, for them to seek or find Him and be found by Him. However this happens, for the rest of my lifetime here on earth, I just want to be a part of that, for as many people as possible, in whatever way, shape, or form.
So, no matter how tired I get, no matter how weak I become, how discouraging things may seem at times, let my life be lived in a way that shows God and models for others, "Here I am, Lord." All in all, I see my life as a quilt with different patch work stitched into it as I journey on in life, both as a Christian and a developing professional. I love quilts ... I think they symbolize so much and have the ability to be a magnificent showpiece, centerpiece, or a visual aid for someone's story and/or journey. That is how I prefer to view people, their life experiences and stories, as a quilt with various patchwork stitched into and on it as they go on in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment